Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Phil Keaggy, "The Master and the Musician"

I cannot honestly say when I first heard a Phil Keaggy song, nor can I say what song it was. I can say this, however. He blew my mind! I considered myself to be a pretty good lead guitar player in those days (the late 1970's). And, I was better than average. But here was a guy who could play things that I could only dream of--no, I could not even dream of them! I remember seeing him play with just his acoustic guitar at a small auditorium on the University of Houston campus in about 1980. I also remember a tour in 1979 or so when the panel van with the band's equipment broke down between Dallas and Houston. Phil came on stage and apologized, then played an acoustic concert for about an hour. Then someone walked out on stage and whispered in his ear. He started a little impromptu chorus of a new song, "Oh, the band is here. The band is here." Then the band set up and played their entire show for us. Wow! That was a great night! (I should thank Ray Johnson for his service to the church in those days. I know he didn't do it for me, but I sure appreciated it--even to this day!)


On my recent ten-hour drive, I heard several Phil Keaggy songs. "Do Lord" with Glass Harp. "Who Will Save the Children" with Randy Stonehill. "Shouts of Joy," which is a great worship song. One of my first great memories of Phil Keaggy was the album, "How the West Was One," with Phil, 2nd Chapter of Acts, and a Band Called David. To this day, that album (particularly Phil's portion) is one of my favorites. He tells the story of his conversion, both verbally and then in the amazing acoustic song, "My Life." Then he burns the neck up on "Time." I remember standing in the United Saints Bookstore listening to "Time," and someone commented on how the crowd went crazy when the song ended. Kemper Crabb happened to be in the store and commented, "And why wouldn't they, after hearing that?" (Or something close to that quote) Ah, the memories. 


I also remember when "Master and the Musician" came out. From the first time that "Pilgrim's Flight" came through the speakers, I was hooked. The album was an amazing soaring musical journey. I listened to it over and over and over (well, you get the point!). It was such a joy a couple of years ago to hear Phil on the 30th anniversary tour of "Master and the Musician." This album title sums up Phil Keaggy for me. He is an amazing musician--a consummate guitar player almost without equal. But, he plays for the Master, for his Lord, for Jesus! He does it with poetry, grace, and power. But he plays for the glory of his God. I am so glad. Thanks, Phil. You have been an inspiration for me! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with these thoughts! I am a Lutheran pastor in Oklahoma who was raised in Cleveland, Ohio. Phil Keaggy is from Youngstown, Ohio and he was a local hero to all of us Christian musicians. I first heard him in 1971 with Glass Harp and saw him play solo concerts around Cleveland, when he was not known nationally yet. I am a singer, songwriter, guitar player and have played in several Christian bands. Phil's proficiency and creativity are a gift from God. He doesn't just play fast, he plays with a heart and soul and that has been shaped by our Lord Jesus Christ. When a person knows the Creator of all music, he then can become a grace-filled creator of music. I have been collecting every record, tape and CD he has ever made, he is the only artist for whom I have done that. It's funny, because I have heard 100s of guitar players in my life, and after listening to them, I always end up saying to myself, "Well Keaggy plays better than that!" You never get bored when you hear a Keaggy song. I will stop, because I could go on and on about this gifted guitarist who plays to the glory of God! Dave Nehrenz.

    ReplyDelete