Thursday, March 22, 2012

Experience Hendrix?

Went to a concert tonight--the Experience Hendrix tribute tour. Artists included Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Eric Johnson, Brad Whitford (of Aerosmith), Robby Krieger (of the Doors), Robert Randolph, Bootsy Collins, Bobby Cox (of the Jimi Hendrix Experience), and several others. They played over three hours of Jimi Hendrix songs. These artists range from their 30s to their 70s. I asked myself why these guys were on stage performing these songs. Well, perhaps because they were good songs. Perhaps because they enjoy playing together. Perhaps to make a living. Well, maybe all of these, except that probably none of these musicians need this gig to pay the bills, and it is a lot of work to tour with that many people and play only 3-5 songs. So, I think there is a bigger reason for the show. 


The tour is called a tribute tour, and that is exactly what it was. All of these guitar players know that they owe something of what they do to Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix was an innovator. He tried new things with the guitar. He played a different style of riff. He used different combinations of effects. Any rock or blues guitar that followed Hendrix is musically indebted to him in some ways. (Now, just for the record--to hopefully avoid some mean comments--I do know that Jimi Hendrix was not a good role model and is not a person whose lifestyle should be emulated, esteemed, or followed.) This tour, then, is a way to show their gratitude to this innovating guitar player who had such an impact on their craft, their profession, and (probably) their lives. 


This, along with my blog last night, has challenged me to ask, "How have I shown gratitude to those who impacted me?" Thinking about the Christian music influences in my life the past few days in this blog has reminded me of some people who influenced me. I came to faith in Christ at 15 years old in 1976. In the years that followed, many people helped me to become a disciple of Jesus. Jeff Rankin and Jeff Taylor took a few of us leaders in the local high schools and discipled us in a small group. Jimmy Womack hired me at United Saints Bookstore and allowed me to be his friend and partner in the store for several years. Through Jimmy's influence, I met Kemper Crabb and Ray Johnson. These three men (who were about 10 years older than me) were an invaluable influence on my life as a teenager, and I am sure that I never thanked them--and they may not even know it. 


Jimmy trusted me to run his store when he was gone. He introduced me to countless Christian leaders around Houston. He taught me to be a ethical businessperson and better Christian. Kemper let me hang out with Arkangel at Rivendell Studios. He came and spoke to our early morning Youth for Christ group at my high school. Arkangel even came and played one early morning. Ray had an impact on many people's lives--many who probably do not even know it. Through his New Earth Concerts ministry, Ray allowed me to hear Phil Keaggy, Second Chapter of Acts, Sweet Comfort Band, DeGarmo and Key, Petra, Chuck Girard, Resurrection Band, and many others. He knew most of these people personally, and introduced many of us to his friends, believing (I think) that their ministries were worth being a part of our lives. Ray and Jimmy (and others) later started Aslan's Delight, a coffeehouse in Pasadena, TX. I was 18-19 years old but was treated like a partner and friend by these men. Through this ministry, I met Randy Matthews, Resurrection Band, and Servant. All of these ministries had a profound impact on me--encouraging my faith and my desire to know and serve God. 


So, Ray, Jimmy, and Kemper: Thanks for befriending, teaching, and encouraging this young man over thirty years ago. I love you guys and appreciate what you did for me and many others! 


If you've read all the way to here, maybe you have someone to thank! 

1 comment:

  1. It is always good to express out thanks and gratitude to those that have touched our lives. So often we forget to take the time to do this and miss a wonderful opportunity to bless them back by letting them know what they ahve meant to us! What a great tribute!!

    ReplyDelete