Saturday, December 24, 2011

So, why do we give?

So, this is a question I never really thought about too much. "Why do we give?" I thought that the answer to this question was self-evident. As a Christian, we give because God has given to us. We give because we follow a God who is gracious. We give because  we love others and want to bring joy to them. We give because there are needs to be met. We give because we can and because we should. Seems self-evident. 

However, I have learned in the past couple of days that this is apparently not so self-evident. In two separate Facebook posts, I was encouraged to give for these three reasons: 1. so that I will not lose my place in heaven, 2. so that I will not lose my blessings, and 3. so that God will give to me. Now, that seems sad to me. If I give to get, is it a gift? Hmmm. Just not sure what to do with this. I am sure that we give because we have been blessed, not in order to be blessed. Giving gifts to get gifts strikes me as so un-Christian. Thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment