Monday, December 19, 2011

A prodigal's memory

My first blog. So, what do I say? I preached a sermon in 2010 entitled "A Prodigal's Memory." I was struck by the fact that the prodigal son decided to return home when he remembered his father's household. He remembered that even the servants had a better life than he had created for himself. 


His older brother also had a memory. He remembered that his son had deserted the family home, squandered the family wealth, and (most likely) broken his father's heart. Since this older son had remained home and faithfully served his father, he held contempt and bitterness for his younger, wandering brother. His father's love might lead him to forgive this prodigal, but he, the older brother, would not forgive and forget. 


We are so influenced by memories. We have good memories, bad memories, and lost memories (you know, the things that you wish you could remember! I know there are also memories you wish you could forget!). I want to have a prodigal's memory. I want to remember that my Father (God) will welcome me home--even when I have wandered away from him. He will love me. He will forgive me. He will give me things that I do not deserve. In the same way, Jesus calls me to forgive others. So, my prodigal's memory will also enable me to show grace to others. 


Isn't Christmas all about grace? I think so. 

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Memories of my sin, unfaithfulness, and guilt are perpetual reminders of God's forgiveness, faithfulness, and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is about grace, and love, and God's faithfulness to make a way for us to be able to come back to Him. He is so wonderfully amazing that we should share Him with everyone we come into contact with in some way, especially during Christmas time, bu also all throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete